Surgere (Saas)​​

Surgere’s supply chain solutions provide visibility in areas you need it most. Surgere is the only solution that brings together multiple forms of sensor technology to “see” inventory with 99.9% accuracy, thereby mapping the entire supply chain and identifying weaknesses and opportunities for improvement in real-time.

The existing product, COS (Container Optimization Solutions), is roughly 12 years old. It provides our clients with visibility into their supply chain - Where their containers of automotive parts are - for how long, and where they are going. 

This service provides a lot of value to our clients - but the experience it is housed in was in need of a modernized UI and consistent user experience to make it easier to use and for Surgere to remain competitive in the market. The software also suffered from years of patches and one-off client solutions that added up to quite a bit of content that was no longer necessary. 

product design process

Existing functionality lacked consistent UI design elements and basic UX patterns. 

1. evaluate the existing product

  • Perform heuristic evaluation

  • Apply basic UX design principles

  • Competitive analysis

  • Evaluate IA

The old Information Architecture didn't provide users with a clear organizing principle and overwhelmed them with too many options. 

2. define core product features (product backlog)

As the company is growing, Surgere has yet to hire many of the traditional positions that are necessary for product development. Because of that, I'm the Product Owner on this project, as well as the UX & UI designer. 

Part of my journey in defining what our MVP features or 'core' features would end up becoming, was understanding how the software evolved into its current state. To do this I spent a lot of time with our client services team to walk through the product and learn what our customers did and did not like about our product, what they felt was difficult to use, or what they were not using at all. I also worked with our data team to run analytics on all the pages/features used throughout the entire program. 

I compiled the qualitative and quantitative data and presented it to the stakeholder team.  This information was the beginning of our effort to define what features would remain as 'core' client functionality and what was to be removed due to low/no usage.

 The final step in creating our feature set was to perform a card-sorting exercise with the key stakeholders within Surgere. One of the issues with the current version of the software was bloated navigation. The three main actions you can perform within the software are to enter data to begin tracking containers, read reports on that data, and view dashboards of that data. We wanted to clean up the information architecture to better allow the user to perform those 3 tasks. 

The old global navigation presented the user with too many options. 

The new navigation is structured in a way that best aligns with user preferences.

3. build prototypes

Using all the data we uncovered during our work sessions and card-sorting, I was then able to start building the new global navigation and system structure. In a parallel effort, I had begun creating the Surgere Design System, to have a single source of truth for design components for our developers and designers to work from moving forward. I used this to build out or initial prototypes of the Surgere software. 

4. next steps

  • Test prototypes with client user groups

  • Compile feedback and present findings to internal stakeholders.

  • Establish high/med/low priority updates and add to the sprint product backlog.

© 2020 by Christopher Uhler  I  Made with 💙 in Ohio.